Thursday 26 January 2017

Off to meet fellow smellybums!

Been a rough past few days about someone who has always been there for me from the start of my IBD battle and it really rocked me to the core. Happily she is doing a bit better and things are looking positive so now I can be overly joyed about my trip in the next few hours to meet persons with IBD in the UK!
Spending my last hours here at the beach and enjoying the warmth as I am leaving the heat for the cold. Interestingly the weather affects us all differently, most people I have spoken to have flares in the winter and feel fine in the summer. While others like me flare in the heat but are fine in the winter so I'm looking forward to those cramp free moments.

That being said, one of my main concerns for this 11 hour 5 minute trip is not making it in time to the bathroom. We all have had the luxury of soiling our undies in public, whether its because we are stuck in traffic and can't get to a toilet in time or the urgency is so severe you are only a few paces from the toilet that you simply couldn't make in time. Instant depression sinks in for me every time that I don't make it to the toilet. I hit rock bottom emotionally as there is no worse feeling for me, the shame, embarassment and internal anguish is horrifying. The limited amount of toilets on the plane vs the amount of people who are on the flight and the line can make a massive difference. I once had to be pacing the aisle and have the flight attendant offer me a cup and said to me "don't be shy i won't pry" I smiled and said i'm sorry but and held up two fingers and she said you will need a bigger cup and chuckled. (lovely conversations I have with strangers yeah). I'm also terrified of having someone come in soon after I leave as its a confined space and lets face it, no matter how much air freshner or cologne you spray, you can't shake that guilty feeling u left a stinker in the crapper unless if its someone who has been annoying you then yes by all means come in quickly!

Always being prepared is key. Lets face it... accidents is a part of life with IBD. We always have a go bag for just such occasions usually with toilet paper, baby wipes, change of undies change of shorts or pants.Give or take a few more items depending on your sex and personal preference. I love cargo pants for just such occasions; I don't have to carry about a back pack everywhere that I go. Simply put the essentials in my side pockets and hope it doesn't soil my pants and just my undies (so yes it's wiser to have a bag, I just like moving light) I just hate it when some observant person notices the change of pants...as a result I may have a few duplicate shorts lol.

I'm simply buzzing with excitement to finally meet other persons from the IBD community. It feels like I am being reunited with my lost family! Can't wait to share the 50 toilets of Great Britain pics up and some of their amazing stories!!! Finally people who truly get me and go through the same shit(pun intended) that i go through!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment