Monday 6 February 2017

The Journey Continues

Travelling across the UK has started taking its toll on me as was expected but by no means shall I let that fatigue stop me on my quest to meet my fellow bellies! After travelling 6752 km I refuse to let fatigue get in my way! If only I could tell fatigue to go away and let me do my thing lol. After 11.5 hours to get to Manchester and getting minimum sleep running about with my bellies all day and all night long over the weekend. Followed by heading to Salisbury then briefly London I could no longer fight it and while out exploring my fellow bellies lovely quiet town of Salisbury it hit me like a freight train! While having some sticky toffee pudding (delicious!!!) while seated there it hit me. Out of nowhere I felt so exhausted it took tremendous energy to simply be seated. I felt like I'd run 2 marathons back to back. Had to retreat to fight another day and go to his house as was closer and I pretty much dosed off after hitting the couch. If only sleeping for 4 hours on the couch would have been enough. Woke up more exhausted than when i first crashed. Followed by a lovely night of insomnia when I returned home. Fatigue is my worst nightmare. Being physically exhausted is bad enough but to also be mentally exhausted is just taking a joke to far. Waking up in the morning feeling like you haven't slept for weeks on end with no motivation to do absolutely nothing! To often I get told to just take a nap you will be fine, or you just need a good nights rest and you will be ok when you wake up. Two problems with that...I don't sleep at nights, you will find me roaming facebook or on youtube, secondly no amount of sleep will ever make you feel better when you are starring the monster called fatigue in the face. I may appear fun and bubbly on the outside, but there is a war going inside of me to simply get through the most basic of tasks versus staying in bed and doing nothing (though i tend to not stay still). Fatigue is a major problem faced by us in the IBD community and often overlooked as we're simply tired or to lazy. I once responded to someone who said I'm just plain old lazy by saying I'm to lazy at the moment to insult you (please don't go about insulting people) Oddly enough my way of combating my fatigue is with exercise or putting my music on and dancing on about the house as I try to get stuff done.

None the less I got on a train and headed to Birmingham to meet my bellies! It still amazes me as how complete strangers can have so much in common and can bond over what I once saw as the most cruel thing to have ever happened to me. My journey continues to Ireland next to meet my lost lost IBD family as I try to meet as many persons with IBD as possible and bring us closer via social media and build lifelong friendships and support from persons who understand the daily struggles we each face on a daily basis trying to go about our daily lives with IBD


Yes yes I'm still counting. I've been to nine toilets since landing in the UK. I definitely go much less in the cold versus back home in the heat. Oddly over here some people tend to go much more during the cold than in the heat. One day I even went only twice!!! You can imagine my cousins confusion as to why I was so excited and fussing I only went twice for the day once at 5 am them again at 10 pm (yes I did a victory dance)


No comments:

Post a Comment